Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

YA Non-Fiction/Self Help Review

University Wisdom
by Vanessa McCallum
Review by Heather Froeschl

As a student, I assumed that I knew what I was doing, approximately where I was going, and hoped for the best. I wish I had had a book to tell me that I might be able to be more successful if I just did this or that little thing. Vanessa McCallum lets students know that adding a habit here, or stressing less over there can go a long way, in her book “University Wisdom.”

“Discover the secrets of getting the most from your experience at university and use them as stepping stones to launch your life and career” in this guide. It doesn’t read like one of those lectures from your guidance counselor might sound. This guide can be taken in small doses, one short chapter at a time, or you can breeze through the whole thing in a very short time. Chances are, you’ll want to keep the book around and refer to it now and then. 50 lessons on what you can expect from college, life, careers, and yourself, are sure to grab your attention at some point. Can’t decide what you want to be “when you grow up?” Do you freak when it comes time to settle down and take a test, get a project done, or be interviewed for a job? Parents pressuring you to pick a course of study? Financial situation have you concerned that college is out of the question? Vanessa has answers for you. This interactive guidebook will get you centered, thinking, and planning your future.

Written in a down-to-earth, easy-going tone, the author doesn’t attack and conquer, but rather she explains where she’s been (right where you are) what she did about it, and encourages readers to take steps of their own, whatever they may be. With tips on everything from hanging out with friends, and serious relationships to learning about budgeting money, and planning finances, there is sure to be numerous topics you will relate to. Take some stress out of your life and get a grip on a book that will definitely help, in a fun and practical way. I highly recommend this title for any high school senior, college student or parent of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment