Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Saturday, October 7, 2006

Non-Fiction Review

Retiring in Thailand
by Philip Bryce
ISBN-10: 1887521704
Review by Heather Froeschl

Admittedly, all I've known of Thailand is that many Cambodian's fled to it during the seventies, and, I happen to love Thai food. Reading "Retiring in Thailand" by Philip Bryce and Sunisa Wongdee Terlecky allowed me to visit the country and come away with a good deal of knowledge. While I'm nowhere near ready to retire, I can see this is a viable and desirable option!

The book is in five parts. The first is an introduction to Thailand, opening the reader up to customs and facts, amenities and culture, and offering the testimonials of a few folks who have retired in Thailand. Part two is the how-to section, describing in detail how to go about preparing for your retirement there. Information on passports, visas, taxes, social security, health care, and even plans for your will are all included. This information is for those coming from the U.S. and the U.K.. Part three details helpful hints on living and adjusting to Thai life, explaining mannerisms and etiquette, what you can expect and what will be expected of you. Part four examines the different areas of Thailand, giving the pros and cons of each major retirement spot. Part five is a plethora of reference information including websites to check out, a calendar of national holidays, a list of common items and their cost, and much more.

The book is an ideal opening guide when considering retirement in Thailand. It is also a perfect introduction to Thailand itself. If you've known as little as I have about this beautiful country, you'll be happy to sit back and explore through the pages of the book. "Live in paradise for pennies on the dollar" certainly seems to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment