Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Author Interview with M.J. Rose


Having recently reviewed a book that I just didn’t want to put down, I sought out an interview with the author, M.J. Rose (it wasn't enough to have her guest blog on my http://spiritualvisitations.blogspot.com site!). The following is from M.J.’s webpage, www.MJRose.com, and nicely sums up “The Reincarnationist” experience,

“Writing a suspense novel is very much like uncovering gardens that have been hidden and secreted away. The secrets in my newest novel, THE REINCARNATIONIST, revolve around a subject that has deep significance for many people --- reincarnation. My fascination with this topic began when I was a child and it's a book that I’ve been working on for more than nine years.

“In my research I discovered I was in good company: Believers in Reincarnation throughout history include Carl Jung, Rudyard Kipling, Einstein, Ben Franklin, Napoleon, Mark Twain, General George Patton, Louisa May Alcott, Tolstoy, Henry Ford, Goethe, the Baal Shem Tov, Nietzsche, Gandhi, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Albert Schweitzer, Walt Whitman, Wordsworth, Levi ibn Habib (the Ralbah), Rumi, Thoreau, Socrates, Jesus Christ in the Gnostic Gospels, Voltaire, Josephus, Balzac, Gauguin, Pythagoras, Kabbalists, Hindus, Buddhists and Christians.

“I've learned that there currently are over 26 million people who are believers in reincarnation --- and I've created a blog as a hub for "reincarnationists" (http://www.reincarnationist.org/wordpress/ ) where you can find news related to reincarnation, read reviews of books on the subject, and discover links to other blogs and websites on reincarnation and related intriguing topics.

“I love reading page turners that give you something to think about, something that resonates and matters. I hope that’s what this novel does for you.”

It absolutely does. And now, here is part of my conversation with M.J.:

Heather: “The Reincarnationist” is quite an in-depth look at reincarnation, yet tells a story that is absolutely compelling. You have honored both goals as a writer, but which was more important to you in this case?

MJR: The story first, but I was committed to the research and presenting the subject fairly. Thanks for the comment, though.

Heather: I’ve been a longtime student of reincarnation but my research pales in comparison to what you must have done for the writing of "The Reincarnationist." I suspect you found it an enjoyable subject to explore?

MJR: Fascinating. But I’ve really been studying it for a long time. In one way or another since I was a child.

Heather: Can you tell me what your favorite source was?

MJR: I’ve read over 60 books on the subject and offer a whole bibliography in the back of the novel. But “The Phoenix Fire Mystery” is a great source book. It’s chronological and contains writings through time on the subject.

Heather: My feeling is that reincarnation is more of an obsession than a passing interest with you. Is this so? And now that the book is done, is it still something that niggles your brain a great deal?

MJR: It used to be an obsession but writing the book solved that. I’m writing a series of books on this subject so it has become more or less integrated into my thinking.

Heather: Are there souls in your life whom you feel you have had past lives with?

MJR: Yes, absolutely. I first became aware of that in my twenties and that first awareness is one of the inspirations for this book.

Heather: Have you spoken with them about this idea and do you think that people should if the other person is not a believer in it?

MJR: I have with some people and not with others and I only would seriously discuss it with someone I knew very well. If you chose to discuss it with a non believer - you need to be prepared for the other person to scoff and call you silly – if you don’t mind that – then by all means.

Heather: Have you felt a deep connection to a place, timeframe, object, or culture that leads you to believe you were involved with it in some past life?

MJR: Yes, several. France is one. Paris specifically but I’m not sure when. Egypt in the time of the pharos. I believe I was a lowly slave. And up around Salem, Mass. In fact I’m going up there in a few weeks to explore.

Heather: Have you personally undergone a past life regression?

MJR: Yes, over a period of six months I worked with a Reincarnationist. It started out as research. Writers have great excuses to do anything and everything.

Heather: The church plays an interesting role in “The Reincarnationist.” Do you feel this view is what might really happen, has happened, or does happen?

MJR: The role the church played in ancient Rome was exactly what happened. That was all based on history. The church was afraid of reincarnation theory. And to this day they are against it.

Heather: Have you had any negative feedback in this regard?

MJR: A few people have tried to engage me in very serious theological conversation… I smile politely and explain I’m a novelist not a theologian.

Heather: The archaeological subject matter in the book is fascinating. Is this another special interest of yours?

MJR: I have been interested in it since I was a kid. One of the many occupations I had on my short list of what I wanted to become.

Heather: This book seems to be quite different from your other work. What is next for M.J. Rose?

MJR:It’s the next book in the series that began with “The Reincarnationist.” It’s called “The Memorist.”

Heather: Thank you MJ for taking a few minutes to chat. I’ll look forward to your next release!

Want to know more about M.J. Rose?
http://www.mjrose.com
http://www.authorbuzz.com
http://mjroseblog.typepad.com/buzz_balls_hype/

1 comment: