Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Author Interview with Ann Marie Zakos

An interview with Ann Marie Zakos, author of “First Class Ticket”… “an irreverent look at a week in the life of a college student, Madison, along with two of her classmates, as they learn about life through a philosophy class. A medley of teaching tales divided into 13 chapters, it explores the nine truths of life…”

Heather: How did you develop these nine truths in the book?

Ann Marie: I developed these truths from my own personal life experiences. I took experiences that I encountered in my daily life from interacting with co-workers, friends, and family. I realized these truths to be self-evident and that they apply to us all universally.

Heather: Are you a student of philosophy?

Ann Marie: Although I took a couple philosophy classes in college, I didn't enjoy them and found them unfulfilling. Therefore, I created my own philosophies from my perceptions of the world and incorporated them into this book.

Heather: Did you take a special philosophy course in college?

Ann Marie: I took two philosophy courses in college that I didn't like very much. I'm not sure if it was my state of mind at the time, or the lack of passion about the subject from the professors. But I intuitively knew that philosophy should be fun and rewarding and that the younger generation should be influenced and inspired by it. So I guess the lack of inspiration I felt from my professors about the subject made me want to inspire others about philosophy.

Heather: What prompted you to write a book about spiritual development?

Ann Marie: I feel that our culture is materially rich, yet spiritually poor, and I wanted to inspire others to look at what really matters in life and realize that the only real measure of wealth is our own character.

Heather: Are you a supporter of the idea that we are in an age of information?

Ann Marie: I strongly believe that our culture is shifting from the material age into the age of information. This is relevant with the great technological advancements that have been made in the last twenty years, as well as the "Green" movement that is taking place. I like to think that I am part of the "metrospiritual" movement.

Heather: I love the quotes at the beginning of the chapters. What gave you that idea? Are you a collector of quotes like many authors are?

Ann Marie: I love quotes because when thought about, they have the ability to touch us and awaken us deep inside.

Heather: Are there more tales of college students in the works?

Ann Marie: I am following up “First Class Ticket” with the sequel called “The Inn Between.” It's the second philosophy assignment for Brian, Diana and Madison where they are assigned the task of going on a scavenger hunt through an old hotel near their college campus.

Heather: Do you think that there is a lack of interesting, engaging, enlightening reading material for young adults? I hope you know that this book certainly fills that bill.

Ann Marie: That is exactly what influenced me to write this book. I feel that young adults are bombarded by the media with the wrong messages. There is too much emphasis on MTV, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton and not enough emphasis on the things that truly matter. I feel that they need to be inspired by positive, enlightening and life-altering books that can shape them into becoming better people.

Heather: Have you been writing fiction long?

Ann Marie: I've been writing fiction for the past six years and I intend to continue writing for the rest of my life. It's my passion!

Heather: Please give us a brief bio and share anything else that you wish to.

Ann Marie: I recently gave a book speaking event at Transitions Bookplace in Chicago (a store that I love) and many of the people in the audience kept asking me, "You're so young, how do you know about these truths, how do you understand so much?" My response to them was that when I first starting writing the book, I had no outline, I just had the basic story plot in mind. I started with a blank computer screen and everyday for hours I would get quiet and I would just listen. Miraculously, the words starting to take shape on the page. I truly felt that my entire experience of writing the book was from a divine source. A higher form of energy was helping me write, and I was just the vessel that it came through.

“First Class Ticket” is available on Amazon.com and on AnnMarieZakos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment