Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Children's Book Review

Where Peace Lives
by Debbie Robins
ISBN-10: 0978721373
Review by Heather Froeschl

Where does peace come from? It isn’t something born of war, or won through argument. Author Debbie Robins explores peace and finds three keys to it in her book, “Where Peace Lives.” A book for all ages, children and adults, it is sure to become a classic along the lines of “The Little Prince.” More than that, it is a delightful read, and a tool for spreading some very valuable lessons.

The narrator is worried about the world and wonders why everyone can’t just get along. One night, a visitor comes and insists that the angel, Peace, needs to be set free. Peace is trapped in a glass box and three keys are needed to open the lock. They need to find the keys, and they begin by looking in the City of Right and Wrong. There, terrible things are happening. The residents are divided and each side insists that the other side is wrong. What’s even worse is that the Cube of Bitterness hovers above and devours those who are the “right ones”. Donkeys and elephants play tug of war, only it isn’t a game. It looks like there is no hope for peace. However, Mister Buddha, a poetic cat, is sharing a potion called Acceptance, and so there is hope after all.

Mister Buddha introduces our narrator to the concept of acceptance and the fact that kindness begets kindness, and also to his best friend, Mahma. The adventure continues with a story of understanding and Oneness, and then on to the Sea of Forgiveness, where two orangutans, Chris and Mo impart more wisdom. Through a desert and to a waterfall, and up a mountaintop, the keys are sought. Will they be found in time to set Peace free?

A parable, the story can be taken at face value, with lessons still understood. Upon further reflection, deeper meanings come to light and the reader can see how important choices are. The colorful characters’ teachings are inspired by and reflect those of Ghandi, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad and Martin Luther King. With exquisite illustrations, a delightful cast of characters, and a most important plot, “Where Peace Lives” rates my highest recommendation. Additional biographical information on these key people is included at the back of the book, as well as journaling space and an exercise to “strengthen your peace muscle’. Well written and enjoyable to experience, this book is a must read for everyone you know.

1 comment:

  1. The summer after I turned 16, I took Driver's Ed. I forget the name of the insightful, overweight, balding High School Coach that that taught this class and I forget most of the road rules I learned from him.

    I do remember what I would consider my most important lesson that summer, "Courtesy is Contagious!"

    This belief set me off in the world better prepared than most. I am glad this lesson is being handed to children and adults in such a wonderful book. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete