Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Monday, June 4, 2007

Children's Book Review

The Playdate Kids: The I Like Me Dance
by Tim Friedlander
ISBN-10: 1933721073
Review by Heather Froeschl

What is the best message a kid can understand? “The I Like Me Dance” by Tim Friedlander spells it out clearly…to like yourself! Just right for preschools, daycare centers and kindergartens everywhere, this book with accompanying CD is going to be a fun chance for kids to dance!

A visit to the zoo with The Playdate Kids leads readers on a dance through exhibits of EAR-lephants, RhiNOSEros’, T-EYE-Grrs, and ELBOWa Constrictors, as the CD plays a delightful song, “I Like Me.” The song speaks of liking my fingers and toes, ears and nose, liking myself night and day, that we’re all perfect in our own way, and to tell yourself that every day. The beat is just perfect for a zoo setting and will soon have children dancing and singing along. The illustrations, by W.M. Edwards are inviting and fun, showing the familiar Playdate Kids making faces or holding their breath as they groove through the zoo. The youngest readers will delight in pointing out animals and hearing this positive message.

This fun book is a must have for anyone who has young children in their lives. What 3 – 6 year old doesn’t like the zoo, or to dance? The underlying theme, and clear message of self love is most important, and it is done in such a delightful way that kids will be clamoring to hear the song and do the dance every chance they get, reinforcing this significant lesson. It’s a perfect non-quiet time activity for story hour. I am thrilled to see this simple and inspiring set and trust it will fast become a favorite.

Tim Friedlander is a talented author and musician who has training in music and psychology. His work with The Playdate Kids Musical Series shows promise of a bright future, for himself, and his readers. I can’t wait to see what else he does!

No comments:

Post a Comment