Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Interview with The Sicilian Conspiracy author, Michael Sammaritano

Michael Sammaritano
www.michaelsammaritano.com
Publisher: Adesso Publishing

Heather: Michael, your own life sounds very interesting. Why choose the Mafia to write a book of fiction about?

Michael: The stigma of Mafia is what I have contended with all my life. While I am proud of my ancestors’ ideology, I am totally opposed to Mafia-hoodlums.

The majority of my compatriots are good law-abiding citizens who are stigmatized by these hoodlums and their undue glorification by the masses.

Heather: What did you base your story on, with the new Mafia having a goal of legitimacy?

Michael: The Sicilian Conspiracy portrays one man’s struggle, Don Saverio, to lure young Sicilians in becoming the best they could be through education and to compete in foreign markets for position of influence. Don Saverio’s master plan is to put an end to this façade of hoodlums disguising themselves as Mafia and spread the true Mafia ideology, which is what Big Business and Government relish—men of honor with solid backbone.

Heather: Is any part of the story based on real life events that you are aware of?

Michael: Some is from real life. Most however, comes from my wishing how things ought to be.

Heather: Why do you think readers are always so interested in hearing more tales of the Mafia days? Do you think this is more of an American obsession, or worldwide?

Michael: People, especially Americans, are more obsessed with grotesque events. Unfortunately many of the so-called Mafia stories offer all that and more.

Heather: Are you planning any further works of fiction?

Michael: “Red Roses” and “The Professional Dreamer” are two of my upcoming novels. I should have them out by the end of 2007.

Heather: A lot of authors have to continue with their “day jobs” to pay the bills. Are you still a pilot? Is this your “day job”?

Michael: Yes, I am still a pilot, but I don’t earn a living at it. Fortunately, I can pay the bills without a day job.

Heather: Do you have book signings planned in the near future?

Michael: It’s in the working. The dates and location will be posted on the website @ www.adessopublishing.com.

Heather: Do you find marketing your work to be another enjoyable aspect of writing?

Michael: Marketing is an innate treat. I began marketing myself the day I was born; first to my mother, then to my siblings, to my outer family and to the world.

Heather: How do you work your plotting of your work? Do you outline every major event, or do you let your characters have their way?

Michael: I outline the storyline—beginning, middle, and end—and then each character’s general appearance, traits, and habits and I watch them act their parts and report it.

Heather: Tell me something about you as a writer that would surprise people who think they know you.

Michael: When I moved from Sicily to the United States I taught myself English. I envy anyone whose native tongue is English. For the small words they learn as children and take for granted I struggle to learn.

Heather: Thank you for talking with me, and I wish you the best of luck with your work.


Biography:
Michael Sammaritano was born in Sicily in 1937, his mother in New York City. Michael spent his childhood in the heart of WWII. He started writing when he was 14 years old. In 1956 he graduated from the Scuola Professionale a Tipo Industriale. At the age of twenty he moved to the United States.

Michael holds several US Patents. He is a multiengine instrument rated pilot. He enjoys golfing, fishing, and, of course writing. He is the author of several books. The Sicilian Conspiracy is his latest work of fiction. Currently he is working on the "Radically Simplified™” series of books; “The Golf Swing Radically Simplified”, “Your health Radically Simplified” and “Marriage to Matrimony Radically Simplified”.

No comments:

Post a Comment