Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Satire Fiction Review

Liberalstein
by C. D. Jewell
ISBN-10: 059539258X

"Liberalstein" is definitely a satire. C.D. Jewell has taken Shelley's idea and created a whole new monster.

Thinly disguised characters based on real people in America take extreme liberties and decide to literally create the ultimate in liberal presidential candidates. A cloned male who will have DNA from numerous liberal sources is created with the hope that he will be the answer to their collective dreams. With the help of a select few, the clone, Frank N. Liberalstein, will win a governorship and then run for president. The polls reflect the popularity of such a candidate and the republicans are running scared. Liberalstein has flaws though, as his drastic composition is folding in on itself.

The problem with basing fictional characters on real people is that as an author you are taking your perception of that person and perhaps some of the public's perception and creating a character whom you can make do anything you wish. This is leading the reader to feel the same way you do about your character and what he does and you are relying on the reader understanding what you're going for. I felt that I was being led in a direction that I am not comfortable with. I am sure there are many readers who will agree with Jewell's more conservative viewpoints and will enjoy the book. If you like satire, this is the most satirical book I've read in ages. Quite imaginative!

No comments:

Post a Comment