Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Non-Fiction/Spiritual Review

Upanishads for the Modern World
by G.K. Pillai
ISBN-10: 8179923479
Review by Heather Froeschl

If I could study with Dr. G.K. Pillai the matters of the Universal Energy, the soul, and the wisdoms of the ages, I would do so in a heartbeat. The next best thing was reading his book "Upanishads for the Modern World," and I will likely read it over many times. As a reader I am always open to what authors can teach me; in this case, the teacher has authored a book that will change your life if you are open to it. Dr. Pillai shares the wisdom of the Upanishads, sacred Hindu texts that are thousands of years old, with the modern world, hoping to address the spiritual needs of the 21st century. I believe he has made great strides toward this goal.

In a highly intellectual, yet very down to earth manner, Dr. Pillai has written his book in a dialogue format with a fictional young American man, Mike. In this manner he is able to reiterate what is explored in each chapter in clear terms so that the reader is certain to understand. Mike asks the questions that we the reader would ask if Dr. Pillai were sitting beside us.

There is much to discuss, and Dr. Pillai will guide you through it all. From the death of the mortal body to the most recent theories and studies of the brain and its abilities, from the existence of the Supreme Self or Brahman to the scientific Big Bang and the energy behind it, from the latest scientific ideas to the most effective spiritual solutions, Dr. Pillai will guide "Mike" and the reader to understanding.

Here is an answer to a question many are asking...how can I find spiritualism while trusting the science that speaks to me? How can I avoid the dogma that is given to me when I question? How can I find modern wisdom? The answer begins with the 3000 year old Upanishads and with the help of a modern guide who recognizes those same scientific truths, you can find meaningful answers to your questions.

I very much enjoyed this book and will very surely go back to it time and time again. It was challenging, invigorating, enlightening and satisfying. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment