Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Thursday, April 7, 2005

Humor Review

Oxygenated Morons
by Louis Dvoretzky
ISBN-10: 0976689006
Review by Heather Froeschl

"Oxygenated Morons" is labeled as a book of random nonsense, and I heartily agree. Though there are a number of bits that do make sense, this book is so punny it is not funny. Full of mental challenges, quirky thoughts and slap-upside-the-head one-liners, this book would make for good bathroom reading. No offense to the author, but it is not a cuddle up on the couch sort of book.

A good gift for the pun thrower in your family (and we all have one) "Oxygenated Morons" is an interesting read. At times I felt that I was trapped in Alice's Wonderland and was reminded of this being said, "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" And also, the Mock Turtle in that works, saying this, "We called him Tortoise because he taught us."

I was also reminded of my father-in-law, who is the pun thrower in our clan, and found myself smiling and nodding when coming across a bit of "wisdom" that was something I know he would say.

Louis Dvoretzky has compiled an interesting bit of reading that, taken in small doses, could possibly make one think, laugh, groan, smirk, acknowledge his wisdom or even slam the book shut. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment