Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Saturday, May 1, 2004

Non-Fiction Review

The Book of Love: Awaken Your Passion to be Your Higher Self
by Karen Bentley
ISBN-10: 0966696735
Review by Heather Froeschl

If I could look beyond this book's Christian slant I might agree with some of what other reviewers are saying about it. In truth, the subtitle should be "Awaken your passion to be your Higher Christ - Self." If you can overlook that and other references to God (assuming this is the Christian God since we already see the Christ influence) the messages in the book could be enlightening. I doubt that the author intentionally left out the other religions in the world, for if it were so it would imply that only those of Christ mind could find enlightenment.

The basic ideas of this book are that there are four obstacles to love: The illusion of a special relationship (soulmates, relationship love, parental love), Anger, Guilt, and a lack of awareness. But love does not refer to what you think of in everyday life, for that kind of love, we are told, is simply our ego. It is fairy tale and selfish. Karen Bentley might call me unenlightened but I don't agree with this concept.

According to Bentley, there are six spiritual tools you need to have to change your life: A strategy of Holiness, Forgiveness, Gratitude, The holy instant of peace, Communing with your higher self, and Praying. She goes on to explore and explain these tools in depth in a very easy to read tone, using anecdotes and numerous quotes from "A Course in Miracles." Again, the text is full of Christian influence and doesn't need to be so, in my opinion. Enlightenment is available to every soul.

The writing is well done, the tone is uplifting (though at times condemning of your humanness) and the basic premise of connecting with your higher self is positive. I can see Christians everywhere wanting a copy of "The Book of Love." For what it is, the book is an appropriate, useful tool; it just isn't for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment