Back on Track

New reviews coming soon! I'll be importing my work from the past two years, but in the meantime,
I'm reclaiming my small place on the web.

Tuesday, November 4, 2003

Autobiography Review

The Purple Storm (One of The Bastards)
by Nicholas Tu
ISBN-10: 0974114006
Review by Heather Froeschl

There aren't many books that have touched me so deeply as The Purple Storm; I'll never be the same person I was before reading it. I have been shown things that I had no idea of and reminded of how very lucky I am to have been born in America.

This is the story of Nicholas Tu and his life in Vietnam after the Americans left. I say life but it should be: existence. His father was taken to "re-education" camp for ten years, leaving Nicholas' mother to fend for the family. Nicholas tried to help, and his childhood vanished. He thinks that he was a bad son, but I see only a soul trying desperately to survive in hell on earth.

Over the years the family struggled to live under communist regime. Simply feeding the family took illegal activity, such as smuggling rice. Nicholas took his turn in the trench digging for the "common farm fields" and almost died in the process. He was later sent to a hard labor camp but escaped...only to become homeless for the next six years, just blocks from his own home. To be found now would mean prison, to avoid capture meant living on the street and finding means for food. Refusing to beg or steal the leftover food on restaurant tables, Nicholas made himself opportunities. He cleaned the restaurant for a meal and later he found work at a molding factory. He lived in the factory under the grace of its owner and soon he found love. Thuy's parents weren't all too pleased with her choice, as her beloved was not seen as able to care for her as they'd hoped. He was not even able to attend his own wedding supper, for fear that the police would discover him and take him to prison.

Times were extremely difficult and the goal of most Vietnamese was to find a way out through illegal border crossings. Nicholas heard the details of one and tried to go along. The busload of people was discovered and while Nick and one other made it away from the group, they were later captured and held in a prison of torture box facility.

Eventually, Thuy's family was able to send her to America and this reinforced Nick's ultimate goal to reach his dreamland and live with her there. He had to go through so much more illegal and dangerous struggle before it would be possible, but my telling the details is nothing compared to the book.I can not do it justice. Nicholas' English is not the best, but he does a very good job in portraying the events that took place. His writing is deep and emotional and the story is gripping, adventurous and tragic.

As I mentioned, this book opened my eyes. As his story was taking place, I was growing up in suburbia. I was never put to bed hungry, and medical care was always available to me. I have always slept on a bed, while Nicholas was experiencing his first mattress, rescued from the ocean, aboard a ship on his way to a refugee camp. I cherished my childhood, while Nick lost his.

Every American should read this book; it should become required reading in college, and for every politician in office. And if that success does not show Nicholas Tu that he is a worthy man, I do not know what will. I hope that his life's mission will change to becoming an influence in the world by opening the eyes of every free person who reads this book, as he has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment